Gender Equity in Canada’s Forest Sector Initiative
The Gender Equity in Forestry National Action Plan Initiative was launched in November 2018 as a collaboration between the Centre for Social Intelligence and the Canadian Institute of Forestry.
This is Canada’s first public-private funded national gender equity project and it aims to create a diverse and inclusive work force that provides the foundation for a thriving forest sector and healthy communities.
To contribute to this vision, the initiative’s Steering Committee – made up of gender champions from government, industry, academia, indigenous, and non-profit organizations – are working collaboratively across the forest sector to engage, attract, retain and advance women.
This three-year project will involve the creation of a National Action Plan that will promote gender equity across Canada’s forest sector.
DID YOU KNOW?
Data from Statistics Canada in 2017 reveals that women make up roughly 17% of the natural resources workforce, with the largest gender gaps in trades positions, as well as executive level positions and seats on Boards.
Steering Committee & Participating Organizations
- Association of B.C. Forest Professionals
- Natural Resources Canada – Canadian Forest Service
- Canadian Institute of Forestry
- Centre for Social Intelligence
- Forest Products Association of Canada
- Lakehead University
- Meadow Lake Tribal Council Industrial Investments
- National Aboriginal Forestry Association
- Resolute Forest Products
- Statistics Canada
- Strategic Natural Resource Consultants
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative
- University of Moncton
- University of Saskatchewan